I predict an Obama landslide

by Rainier on October 3, 2008

The only US Vice-Presidential debate just finished a few minutes ago. In fairness, “drill, baby, drill” Gov. Sarah Palin was not a disaster tonight. But against Senator Joe Biden? I think she still came up empty. There was no match. She tried many times to “debate” Obama and has many times put Obama on the debate line even though she was debating Joe Biden. I guess that must be the strategy.

Watch and listen to the debate here.

Did it change anything? My personal conclusion says NO. The Governor of Alaska was not able to separate herself from the negative perception that the Republican ticket was more of the same. She was not able to articulate what their campaign is saying that “Change is coming.”

Before this debate, there was already a shift in the electoral map and it is now favoring the Obama ticket. I’m actually a little bit surprised with Obama’s campaign why they would not do a Bill Clinton and hammer the campaign, that this is really nothing more than “It’s the economy, stupid!”

1. John McCain is pulling out of Michigan, a stunning move a month away from Election Day that indicates the difficulty Republicans are having in finding blue states to put in play. Recent polls there have shown Obama extending what had been a small lead, with the economic crisis damaging an already sagging GOP brand in a state whose economy is in tatters.
  2. Asked why he has been falling in polls since the financial crisis, Republican presidential candidate John McCain sums it up this way: “Cause life isn’t fair.”
  3. Recently trailing or tied, Obama now leads McCain in a trio of the most critical, vote-rich states of Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania after the opening presidential debate and during Monday’s dramatic stock market plunge as the House rejected a $700 billion financial bailout plan.

But the McCain campaign is fully aware that they are losing grounds, as a matter of fact, they have now pulled out of Michigan and the three battlestates are now with Obama. What’s interesting is that, McCain will soon hammer the Obama campain on the economic worries starting with a lot of campaign ads that I am now seeing here in Philadelphia that Obama did not act on the Wall Street woes.

But here’s the irony of the economic worries campaign of John McCain. The more his campaign centers on voter’s economic concern, the more his ratings on the poll comes down. Now, let me get back to Gov. Sarah Palin.

I think my problem with Gov. Sarah Palin is that I can?t seem to connect with what she is saying. Yeah, I hear her ?We need to combat greed and corruption in Wall Street and more regulation and all that?? but I can?t connect to those very general terms. I feel like I myself could run for the Vice Presidency and could probably offer more specifics that Americans can understand.

Foreign policy is definitely an area that?s not really in Gov. Sarah Palin?s neighborhood. I honestly did not like her statement when she said ?They hate America or sum’tin sum’tin! Obama’s rush to coddle Iran?s president, Kim Jong Il and the Castro?s as beyond bad judgment” to that effect was not palatable to my ears.

I believe Senator Joe Biden won this debate (link was updated), but let’s wait for the pundits, the results of the focus groups and polls. Senator Joe Biden was very articulate and clear. Palin? At least she was not a disaster.

Update: 10/03/08

1whowonvpdebate.JPG

2whowonvpdebate.JPG

Let me make an early election prediction. Barring any Obama campaign mishap? I believe there will be an Obama landslide.
reynaelena_signature.JPG

bebe October 3, 2008 at 5:12 pm

i agree with you. puro general answers, yun lang siguro ang tinuro ng mga ‘tormentors’ nya hehe.

i admire joe biden, he really did his homework. he always does. kahit sa democrats debate noon mas magaling pa sya kay obama.

The Ca t October 3, 2008 at 9:41 pm

i did not like the political strategy of bringing her children in that debate forum. it was 10:36 here in the East COast and
9:36 in Misouri last night when the debate was finished.

It was past the bedtime of the two children especially the youngest who was uncomfortably sleeping in the arms of her pregnant daughter.

it was worse that the kissing-kids campain strategy.

The Ca t’s last blog post..Blankets for Cold Hearts

empress maruja October 3, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Well, you gotta give credit to Palin in fairness. She said things that Americans like to hear (especially about the domestic energy and tax breaks questions). Kaya lang, I don’t know… nabubuwisit ako kapag naririnig siya.

empress maruja’s last blog post..Karina Montefalcon (Part 9)

Cocoy's Delight October 4, 2008 at 2:00 am

Hey?waddya expect reyna elena when half of America thinks Mussolini is a Disneyland character.

Holla! Americans,they have NO debt, meaning they are not indebted on an individual dimension, and USA has got one hundred billion in its coffer.

Now,defaulted americans can thank congressman Humpty Dumpty announced he?d voted against the bill the first time but for it the second time, because it was the right thing to do after Bush and the big fat guy in congress twisted there arms.

Have a party gringos what you just saw was democracy (the majority vote of crooked politicians and their business partners) trump a representative republic.

Cocoy’s Delight’s last blog post..Senate Passes $700B Bailout: A Bitter Pill To Swallow

bluepanjeet October 4, 2008 at 11:35 am

I watched this last night and I think we had a good discussion reynz on your previous post. Though I cannot really make any connections on what Palin is saying to the solution to the different crisis that was raised by gwen, yet she really is good and eloquent when it comes to energy haha.

I think MCCain made a mistake in taking her as a runningmate. Palin should be running as a senator and not as a VP so that she could head the energy committee on the senate, tutal mula simula hanggang huli puro energy na lang ang narinig ko sa kanya.

And yes I agree with what cat said, it seems she used her kids to gather sympathy in the debate.

I can’t wait for the next debate haha. — Im talking about McCain and Obama’s.

I was upset with Palin because she didn’t use any lifeline of phone any friend LOL

bluepanjeet’s last blog post..GMA 7?s Newsmakers: 5 Philippine President?s Documentary – Full Video

kutz October 4, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I thought she was just a great looking uterus who had cerebral cortex-tomy! Napaka walang utaaakkkk, grrrrr!!!! Republican pa naman kami, kakahiya, hmpt! Di bale effective naman yata yung *wink* *wink* niya eh no? Baka sakaling umubra sa presidente ng Iran kapag nanalo sila’t natigok si lolo Mac, ehehehehe. O davah, foreign policy plus point din yun kahit papano. Lower your standards naman Ateng, no child left behind pa naman ang uso ngayon, HAHAHAHA!